Sunday, March 16, 2008

Question #14

Relate a memory or two of your cousin(s).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My cousin, Marsha Fender, is the same age as me. Our fathers are brothers. Her father was military career, so sometimes they lived about an hour from us, and sometimes they lived in Hawaii, or across the U.S. Marsha lived in New Hampshire when she graduated from high school, so she flew to California and lived with our Grandma so we could go to college together. I used to pick her up and drive us to school. When were young we played with our dolls, hung on the monkey bars, and played on the swings. We spent hours making mud pies in my sand box. We used to play together alot at Grandma's house. One night she spent the night with me, and we had a pillow fight. I got her good with the pillow and her face came down on the footboard of my bed. She bit clear through her bottom lip. She still has the scar from that. And reminds me of it, too. Smile.)

Sherwin was my other favorite cousin. He teased me all of the time. He taught me how to play canasta (which I no longer know how to play). I remember hanging out at Aunt Maurine's house waiting for Sherwin to come home from work (he did road construction with his father from an early age). He took me for rides on the big tractors. One time he took me out "rabbit hunting". I didn't think he was really going to shoot the rabbits. He got a little perturbed with me when I would shout and scare the rabbits away before he could shoot them. We used to take the car down to the gravel pit and collect the soda bottles. There were tons of bottles because it was really hot for the guys out there working. We would trade the bottles in, sometimes several dollars worth, for candy at the corner market. One time we used the money to go bolwing and to the movies. He died a few years ago from cancer. He was declared, by the U.S. government, as a "downwinder". That means he was a victim of the fallout from the military practice bombings in Nevada. The wind carried the fallout materials long distances, and Sherwin was exposed to it while working on the roads in Utah. It was a very painful cancer of the bones, and he suffered a lot. Pat, my friend, went with me to Utah a few years ago, so I could visit him before he died. He passed away a couple of days after I left. Sherwin's wife told me that he spent 2 days trying to make a birdhouse for me, as sick as he was, before I got there. She said he hadn't even been out of bed for a month before that. Sherwin and I both cried when I left because we knew it would be the last time, in this life, that we would see each other. Fortunatly he totally embraced the gospel a couple of years before he died, and he was able to be sealed to his wife a few months before he passed. My Aunt Maurine must have been ecstatic on the other side of the veil. Sherwin left this world in very good standing whith his Heavenly Father.