Saturday, March 15, 2008

Question #6

Did your mother work outside the home? If so, where and in what field did she work? What training or schooling was necessary for this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was very young my mother did a lot of odd jobs to help with income. Before I remember, she worked in a cannery canning food. I remember her working in the nursery accross the street. I used to play with the stray cats that hung around while she potted plants and worked. She also took in ironing, and alterations on women's clothing and she even made men's suits. She was an expert seamstress. When I turned 12 she went to work outside of the home. Without training, she applied for a position in electronics. They trained her on the job. She became the lead inspecter after only a few years. She actually worked on the electrical system of the first American spaceship that was sent into space in 1961. She worked the remainder of time that I lived at home and beyond.

Anonymous said...

My mother worked outside the home only before kids came. However, there was a period in time in which there was serious consideration given to changing this.

Shortly after my parents' divorce, my mom thought it expedient to gain a little additional training so that she could become a medical transcriptionist. I remember several hours dedicated to her sitting on the floor with flashcards. However, the terms did not come easy to her. While I know she would have been capable of accomplishing such, she received a different prompting from the spirit; she was to stay home as long as I still lived there.

While some people may refer to this choice as 'old-fashioned,' I contribute this to being the largest reason why I escaped personal troubles with drug and alcohol abuse--a problem of so many teens around me. When they went home, it was to an empty house. Parents were not around to support them in times of need. However, when I went home, I could always count on a loving and caring parent that would help me face struggles and overcome temptation.

Hill said...

My mom stayed at home with us until we moved to Alameda. I was 11.

She was a student teacher and then substitued for awhile. She was a sub for each of my siblings, but never for me. Then she worked at an elementary school that was really close to our house, which was nice because she was able to come home quickly.

She got her bachelor's and then her master's degree in Elementary Education. She got the degrees through National University.

I was glad that she was a stay at home mom for awhile. Sometimes I wish that she didn't have to work because I would have liked her to be around more often.